Monday, September 06, 2010

When' s enough stuff enough



I enjoyed making this page.  I hope you like it.

It's September and I am in cleaning mode, getting rid of stuff, in the house and in the studio.  Do you have art stuff all over the house.  Well I have a studio, then sometimes I don't want to go down to the studio, so I have stuff in the den, in cupboards, drawers its not a mess so I don't mind.  But really do I need all the stuff, so much stuff I keep getting and not using.  I see a demo on tulip paints, so out I go and get the tulip paints, do I use them, once. from now on am going by the slogan less is more.  So today was purge day, junk was thrown out, good stuff was waiting for me to take to the goodwill.  I basically did the studio about a month ago, and got rid of a bunch.  Now its main floor arts, books, just stuff you don't use.  I like to go by the slogan if I have not used it in a year, or thought of it then it goes.  To much stuff crowds you and make you feel less creative.  Now I have lots of images, and words, and backgrounds, and old stuff I have been saving, in containers that I cant part with, and its driving me crazy.  I always think that If i throw that away, I will need the next day.  I am not a crazy hoarder, so I am going to try and downsize that stash. I have a thing for paper, pens, inks.  I see it and I want it.  I am going to try to control these urges and not  buy anything new till the end of the year and try to use what I have .  What about you, do you have piles of stuff....?






8 comments:

  1. I have the same fear that I will need it the day after i get rid of it... particularly since that has happened a couple of times! But I HATE feeling overwhelmed by too much junk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Piles, mountains of stuff. Yeah I got that. And I keep trying to get rid of it... Somehow, it just keeps coming back.
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, we are so alike. I have tried to downsize and it is so hard, I might just need it. I have managed to get rid of some stuff and my best defense is to stay out of the craft store, even when they are having a sale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my study is a mess of overflowing folders of pics, and bags of stuff that I use from time to ttime but if I throw it out I find I need it next day! lol! but yes sometimes it does all get a bit too much and overwhelming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Lee! I like your page..love the colors you used!

    I have some piles..but they are not growing.. I hardly buy anything anymore..I did when I was starting to make art..but not anymore. Just necessities. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, (hee hee)...Of course there's stuff all over my workspace! As soon as I clean my desk, it's covered again! I try to keep it under control but often end up working elsewhere, because I need more "elbow room!" ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have so much stuff that my stuff has stuff! And how funny, over the weekend I began throwing out things, too. I made it a daily thing that I have to throw out or otherwise get rid of something each day until my load is lightened.

    ReplyDelete
  8. FAB page - love it and what's on it. Cool. The black and white makes it seem more 'crucial' too - which the message should be! Best of luck with your destashing. I get so far, then give in, lol cos I find more stuff that I want to keep. I did buy Tulip paints though and haven't used them for years!! Won't get rid, though.... yet!

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter